Bradley Shear, attorney & privacy expert
Inside the toolkit, you’ll find:
- An overview of the federal laws that govern student data privacy;
- Tips and resources for protecting your child’s privacy at school and at home;
- Questions to ask districts, principals, and teachers about student privacy;
- Suggestions for parent advocacy and organizing;
- A guide to understanding privacy policies;
- Sample opt-out forms and letters to share with your district;
- and more!
What is student data, anyway?
To fully understand the types and amount of personal information a student generates in today’s digital world, and how it’s used and shared, let’s examine the life of a fictitious child named Tommy and his journey through a data- and technology-driven school experience: